The Norwegian School of Veterinary Science has for many years collected information on alternatives and supplements to the use of animals in teaching. Karina Smith has compiled the NORINA database (http://oslovet.norecopa.no/NORINA). NORINA contains information on approx. 3,900 alternatives produced worldwide. Many of these alternatives are aimed at higher education.
In February 2008 the School arranged an exhibition with a large range of relevant products, in collaboration with an international organisation, InterNICHE, which loans alternatives free of charge to schools and universities for trial use. The response from this exhibition was so positive that the School decided to equip a Multimedia Room/Training Clinic (Auditorium 12). On March 10th 2009 the Room was opened. We have received generous financial support from external sponsors.
Sponsors: Thanks to sponsorship from the following legacies and organisations, we have been able to purchase training models, interactive computer simulations within physiology and pharmacology, CD-ROMs, DVDs and other material:
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) International, USA
- AstraZeneca, United Kingdom
- Dyrevernfondet, Norwegian Animal Protection Alliance (Dyrevernalliansen), Norway
- Fund for Alternatives, Danish Society for the Protection of Laboratory Animals (Alternativfondet, Landsforeningen Forsøgsdyrenes Værn), Denmark
- Fund for research on alternatives, Norwegian Federation for Animal Protection (Dyrebeskyttelsen Norge), Norway
- Nordisk Samfunn mot Smertevoldende Dyreforsøk, Norway
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, United Kingdom
The present situation: The Multimedia Room/Training Clinic was in August 2012 divided into two parts and also changed location. Part of the Room, the Training Clinic, is located at Auditorium 6. The Department of Companion Animal Clinical Sciences (SportFaMed) took over the responsibility for the models and other training equipment. For more information about the Training Clinic, please contact Anette Bjerke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The other part of the original room, the multimedia collection, was relocated to the Library at the Veterinary School. That includes computer programs, videos, DVDs and CD-ROMs, covering topics within anatomy, physiology and pharmacology. In addition, the Library took over 3 computers from the room.
The purpose of the division, was to increase the availability of the products for the students and teachers.
Articles about the room in the mass media